If you've searched and are unable to find the items you need in the University of Toronto Libraries collection, you can request books, articles and more via Interlibrary Loan (ILL). We'll search institutions around the world and request a copy for you to view, borrow or download.
Current University of Toronto students, faculty, and staff are eligible to submit requests free of charge.
In all cases, requesters will be notified of any charges before we proceed with filling requests.
Place a request
You can place a request in two ways:
1) Place a request via LibrarySearch
- You can now make an ILL request directly from LibrarySearch, our library search system for books, audiovisuals, etc.
- This FAQ will guide you through the process
2) Place a request using RACER (Rapid Access to Collections by Electronic Requesting)
- As of January 2021, the library no longer supports PIN authentication for RACER logins
- Please use your library barcode as the RACER User ID and your UTORid for your RACER password
- How to find your UTORid
- Login to RACER and choose Toronto from the drop-down list of Your Library
- Search for your item
- Once you locate the item you need, select Get It
- Choose your pick-up location and be sure to select Toronto-UT Scarborough UTSC Library (default is Robarts and they will not forward it to UTSC Campus) and select Request
- For articles, search for the journal title – be sure to include the citation information in your request (article title, author, volume, issue, etc.)
- If you cannot find the item you need, use the Blank Request Form and fill in as much information as possible
- 5-10 business days for books (may take longer)
- 2-5 business days for journal articles (may take longer)
Confirmation and pickup notice
- You will be notified via e-mail as soon as UTSC Library has received the requested materials
- Materials are to be picked- up from the Info Desk
- Please reply to the pick-up email if you no longer need the item you requested
Charges and payment
- For current U of T faculty, staff and students there is no charge to borrow books or fee for articles
- See the Interlibrary Loan Borrowing Charges page for more details
- Payments for ILL services must be made at the time materials are picked up. Debit, Visa, MasterCard and American Express are accepted at the Info Desk. ILL fees may also be charged to your budget or research grant accounts
- Please note that patrons are responsible for all charges once an item has been requested
Loan periods and renewals
- Most loan periods are 6 weeks; please note that most ILL material is non-renewable
- Requests for renewals must be made at least 4 days prior to the due date
- Contact us at email@example.com to request a renewal
- ILL materials must be returned to the Info Desk at the UTSC Library; please do not remove any paper affixed to the item
Tracking / canceling requests
- You may cancel or track the status of your requests by logging on to RACER
- After signing in, select My Requests
ILL lending to other libraries and institutions
- Libraries and other institutions outside of the University of Toronto can request loans or copies of items in our collection. Individuals without University of Toronto affiliation must contact their local library to borrow items
See the Interlibrary Loan Lending Charges for more information.