- Monday-Friday, 9am-4:45pm
- By appointment only. Please contact the Archivist to discuss your visit and to set a research time.
Users are required to fill out a registration form before consulting material. The form will allow Archives & Special Collections staff to verify your identity and provide information about other possible resources that may be beneficial to your research. Registration cards expire after one (1) year.
The form also confirms that you have read and understood the procedures and regulations set out in this document (Procedure and Regulations). This form is used for internal statistical purposes only.
Archives & Special Collection staff are available to help researchers locate material related to their topic of research in finding aids and databases.
Archives & Special Collection staff will advise researchers of any restrictions on material that is being requested. Researchers will be asked to fill out the request form indicating the fonds/collection title and number, series title and box and file number. A maximum of three (3) boxes can be requested at one time. The form will be given to staff so that they may retrieve the material.
Reading Room Rules
The Archives are dedicated to making the research experience as rewarding and productive as possible for all readers. We ask you to cooperate with us to preserve the Archives’ collections for posterity by observing the following protocols:
- Please leave all coats and outerwear, bags, binders, and folders in the lockers provided.
- Items permitted at research tables include proof of identity, laptops (without case), tablets, paper, and pencils (only). Personal effects taken into the Reading Room, including notebooks and laptops, will be inspected as readers exit the Library.
- Readers are required to register on their first visit to the Archives. Valid ID, such as a current University of Toronto card, a driver’s license, or other ID with a photograph, must be provided before a reader’s card can be issued. The card is valid for one year, and is required for the daily sign-in sheet and to request records.
- Food and beverages are not permitted anywhere in the Reading Room.
- Please consult the Reproduction of material page for rules on photographing and reproduction.
The following reading room regulations need to be observed to ensure the long-term preservation of material.
- Users must register before entering the reading room.
- Personal belongings (bags, purses, backpacks, jackets, umbrellas, etc.) must be left in lockers provided by Archives & Special Collections.
- No food or drink is permitted in the reading room.
- Cellphones must be on silent while in the reading room.
- Please avoid or reduce the use of perfume, cologne, and other scented products. Scented products release chemicals which can trigger serious health reactions in people with asthma, migraines, allergies or chemical sensitivities.
- Materials are non-circulating and can only be used in the Archives & Special Collections reading room.
- Only a laptop (without case) or pencil and paper for note taking purposes are permitted.
- No pens, markers or highlighters are allowed in the reading room.
- Researchers will not rearrange material in boxes of in folders. If you suspect that something is out of order please advise staff.
- Material should be placed flat on tables, accept in cases where bound objects require book cradles.
- Avoid placing anything on the documents or folders.
- When applicable, the archivist may request that researchers wear white cotton gloves to consult material. All photocopying and scanning will be done by Archives & Special Collections staff.
- Same day copies are not guaranteed.
- Do not remove photographs, negatives or slides from their protective sleeves.
- If necessary, use acid-free bookmarks provided to mark your place in a file.
- Material must be returned to staff when a researcher leaves the building. Under no circumstances can material leave the building.
- Researchers should be prepared to present bags and briefcases for inspection when leaving the archives.
- All material must be returned 15 minutes before closing.